I started this adventure because winter has taken a toll on my hair. Although winter hasn’t been that bad here in Chicago other factors like wind and space heaters have added to the dryness of my hair. I try to DC pretty often usually alternating between Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (AOHR) and the Aubrey Organics GPB Lavender Mint weekly. I’ve been wanting to mix it up and try something new but being on the budget of a college student I couldn’t afford to run out and buy something… Luckily I had an avocado lingering in the fridge.
I have done treatments with avocados several times. I normally do a mix with coconut milk and lime but that gets messy. This time I kept it simple and mixed it with olive oil and a few drops of rosemary essential oil.
Doesn’t it look yummy!… Well after sitting with my heat cap for 30 minutes my hair soaked it all up. There was absolutely no chunks or green pieces in my hair. I was in shock. My hair was so shiny and soft and stayed moisturized for days. I think I may be doing this monthly.
After such amazing results I decided to research the benefits of avocado oil. Low and behold they were just as amazing. I don’t know why I haven’t used this oil before but it is now a staple for me. I can’t wait to pick some up this weekend.
Here are a few of the benefits:
- when massaged into hair (oil or mashed) promotes hair growth
- high in omegas-3 and 9 nourishing hair follicles when incorporated in diet
- its smoke point is the highest at 520º F so makes for a good heat protectant
- has the highest skin penetration rate in comparison to oils like olive (explains why there was nothing left)
- especially great on dry and African-American hair
- packed with nutrients like proteins, vitamins A, D, E, B-6, iron, magnesium, copper, amino acids, folic acid
- rich source of lecithin which gives it good penetrative qualities
- natural sunscreen
- works even better when blended with olive or almond oils
Whew!!! That was a lot but now you see why this is now a staple in my regimen and my line of hair products coming soon!
There are so many recipes out there consider mixing mashed avocado with any of these combinations:
- egg yolk & olive oil
- coconut milk & lime
- yogurt & honey
- banana & olive oil
- aloe vera & olive oil
When you do mix them make sure everything is blended well or you will have chunks. A heat cap or hot towel will also speed things up. I didn’t measure just kept added oil until it had a conditioner like consistency. If it’s too watery it will drip all over and make a mess trust me! One time I used half a can of coconut milk and it was all over and no fun.
Feel free to share your experiences and recipes!