Since starting her career singer, Kelis has been known for her big hair. A few years ago she chopped it all off and has been rocking it like this ever since. Her sides were originally shaved so thats why it has this tapered shape. This is how my hair looked after my BC (well chemo chop), too bad I only wore it out once. This style is so easy to achieve. I would shampoo (before I knew about co-washing), condition, and leave in a conditioner or curl cream. This look is beautiful and I would like to encourage all my lovely BC curls to rock their hair don’t cover it up, if I could do it all again I definitely would!
Guess what…..I finally got a trim. Its been 6 months and was long over due with me going wash and go crazy. This also means my hair is currently straight and I have tons of updates including new product reviews and an official length check.
I was browsing one of my fav blogs, Mane and Chic and she posted some questions we should all answer when building a reggie. Be sure to check out her full post. In the meantime I will put my answers to the questions as I continue to update my reggie and stash for the fall:
- How often can you wash? I co-wash every other day for the most part. My goal is to only wash twice a week or less but at one point I washed daily with no probs. When my hair is straight I don’t wash for a week or two.
- Are you going to trim, how often? I trim every 3 to 6 months with only a light dusting. At least every 6 months by a professional. I am trying to do the search and destroy method but it’s a bit crazy at times.
- How often do you want to deep condition? I deep condition weekly…its a must!
- Are you going to straighten, how often? Lately its been every 6 months with heat. I plan to do it every 3 months alternating heat and some none to low heat alternative.
- How will you straighten if you decide to do so — roller sets, hot combs, flat irons, etc.? Alternating flat irons or the silk wrap method but as of now I get my hair blowdried and flat ironed.
- Are you going to do protein treatments, how often? I wish I would have done one last week before I straightened but plan to in the future whenever I decide to straighten. (Helps prevent heat damage)
- Will you use shampoo or just conditioner, apple cider vinegar or herbs to wash? I only will use a shampoo after I straighten because its the only time I use silicones. I co-wash and do weekly or bi-weekly acv rinses. I also use amla powder but I use it more as a deep treatment.
- How are you going to protect your hair when you sleep? I take my satin pillow case or bonnet ever where.
- How will you moisturize your hair? I moisturize with a leave in condish sealed with shea butter. When I refresh my hair in the morning I use something water based.
- Are you going to pre-wash your hair? I’m still researching this. I do oil my scalp with coconut oil overnight and add more in the morning to my hair before I wash.
- Are you going to do scalp massages, how often? At one point I was faithfully even did inversion when I had a TWA… I will try to do them daily again as winter approaches with my coconut oil or evoo infused with oils like lavender, peppermint, and sage.
- What are your go-to styles going to be — braid-outs, curl former sets, buns, etc.? I have to switch it up so I don’t get bored. Flat twist outs were working great for a bit. My bantu knot out is still my signature never failing stying. I’m still working on prefecting braid outs and TnCs. I also loved the results of my flexirod set so thats a keeper. For the most part protective styling will be all I do as winter appoarches i.e. buns, braids, sew-ins, maybe a wig.
Well good luck building your fall reggie these questions should definately help.
A few days ago I was cleaning my closest and food a bag of 20 or so orange flexi-rods. Guess my sis forgot to pack them with her college stuff. Well I went out and bout 20 more but the purple ones.
I was so anxious I tried them out using about 30 rods. I set them with Kinky Curly Knot Today and ORS Lock and Twist Gel. I dried them for about an hour after force them to fit.
Unfortunately sleep was hell to say the least. I may have twisted them too tight so my roots would be smooth….never again. It was so painful next time I’m going to dry them fully during the day. I had to rush and separate to get to school in time.
I ended up rocking a beret but that flattened some out. Otherwise, I love the results. I used way too much gel but other than that I smooth some coconut oil and I was good. The curls are super bouncy and silky.
Hopefully I can achieve some type of 2nd day style but I plan to try them out again for a party Friday.
Check out the links below for some tutorials, trails, blogs, etc….they helped me A LOT!!!!:
- Rock Your Natural (blog)
- Mane and Chic (blog)
- Lexi With The Curls (youtuber)
- Empress Ri (youtuber)
- Pretty Dimples (youtuber)
- Long Hair Care Forum
- eHow tut
Mahisha Dellinger, curly hair expert, and creator of the Curls products provided a tip of the day to fight frizz for Urban Curlz and Newly Natural. I tired one last night and I must say it was pretty nice.
Instead of my usually ACV rinse before a DC I tired using white vinegar. I used 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water, placed it in an applicator bottle, then poured it all over my scalp and hair.
I rinsed my hair first, then followed with the vinegar rinse and let it sit for a few minutes. My hair did feel very soft. I even notcied it made my hair slippery which made detangling super quick. The slip made it to my hands making them feel a little weird.
Her other tip was using honey. I use it all the time but as it gets colder out I limit my use of humecants like honey becasue it can dry out hair becasue of the lack of moisture in the air.
Overall I liked the rinse and might add it too my reggie after I do some additional research.
I know you guys have seen the video for Ego by Beyonce……welllll…. I’m thinking of doing a sew-in weave similar to this as a protective style for the rest of the month. I have never had a sew-in with curly hair. I’m a bit nervous that it will be too diva but my new slogan has been “big hair don’t care” the past week.
Well please weigh in guys. Do you think this style is too over the top…distracting….wig looking or do you think its hot???…Just let me know something guys I don’t want to look Halloweenish before it gets here.
P.S. I had to put the remix up…I only like Kanye because he’s from Chicago and his verse is funny.
For this edition of coconut craziness I will concentrate of hair products with coconut oil or coconut milk. I haven’t tired all of them and I’m sure there are more out there but these are the ones I use, have heard about, or want to try……
I use this oil for pretty much every thing. It’s about $10 at Whole Foods and lasts forever. I use it as a scalp oil, deep treatments, and for my body as well.
I haven’t tried this oil but I see it all the time in my local Indian grocery store. Its infused with my fav herbs like alma and brahmi.
Now these suckers a fricking expensive but my pj wants to try them out. These scented coconut oils are$30 for 8.4oz. or $12 for 2 oz. The yummy scents are so tempting. I comes in green tea, lavender (my weakness), heavenly peach, oriental jasmine, rose, and unscented.
I love this stuff I actually use the Whole Foods brand which is a few cents cheaper. I’m sure it’s even cheaper at TJ’s too. You can use it to kick up rice to the Jamaican restaurants use it in the red beans and rice.
This is decent co-wash. I used it alone when first going CG. Its nothing special but a lot of people swear by it.
This condish is by Curls and called Coconut Sublime. This line is next on my list to try especially since its available on ground at a local salon.
This is something new to me. I love the 100% Pure brand and just found out they had this conditioner. Its called Honey Coconut Milk Conditioner. It’s $18 for 8 oz. and packed with great vegetarian ingredients.
A lot of girls on NC.com use this brand I might have to try it sometime. It’s also available at Target another plus.
This gel has coconut milk in it and has a super soft hold. I use it for bantu knot outs but I’m thinking I need to use it more often. This is also available at BSS and drugstores as low as $2 or $3 I’m thinking about getting the gallon one day.
Well thats about it for now. I’m thinking of doing a part 3 on body products and a part 4 with recipes. Also share your fav coconut products.
If this face doesn’t say it I don’t know what to tell you. Well It was actually better but after rushed fluffing….a full day of playing in my hair in class….getting a little rain leaving Whole Foods…and it being almost midnight this twist and curl just didn’t cut it today.
There are so many things to blame the humidity was 93% today and the dew point was 53 degrees. I also think my hair needs more hold. I’m considering trying it again on dry hair tonight. If that doesn’t work then I might need to add a tad of gel into the mix.
Well all wasn’t bad my hair was actually a lot more defined and cuter this morning. I also can’t stop touching my hair is soooo soft and light. I also picked up some Kinky Curly Knot Today and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose….oh and this super cute hair clip (thanks mommy for supporting my pj’ism).
Well let me know what you think in the mean time it’s back to Meteor Man on BET lol.