Guess what…..I finally got a trim. Its been 6 months and was long over due with me going wash and go crazy. This also means my hair is currently straight and I have tons of updates including new product reviews and an official length check.
I was browsing one of my fav blogs, Mane and Chic and she posted some questions we should all answer when building a reggie. Be sure to check out her full post. In the meantime I will put my answers to the questions as I continue to update my reggie and stash for the fall:
- How often can you wash? I co-wash every other day for the most part. My goal is to only wash twice a week or less but at one point I washed daily with no probs. When my hair is straight I don’t wash for a week or two.
- Are you going to trim, how often? I trim every 3 to 6 months with only a light dusting. At least every 6 months by a professional. I am trying to do the search and destroy method but it’s a bit crazy at times.
- How often do you want to deep condition? I deep condition weekly…its a must!
- Are you going to straighten, how often? Lately its been every 6 months with heat. I plan to do it every 3 months alternating heat and some none to low heat alternative.
- How will you straighten if you decide to do so — roller sets, hot combs, flat irons, etc.? Alternating flat irons or the silk wrap method but as of now I get my hair blowdried and flat ironed.
- Are you going to do protein treatments, how often? I wish I would have done one last week before I straightened but plan to in the future whenever I decide to straighten. (Helps prevent heat damage)
- Will you use shampoo or just conditioner, apple cider vinegar or herbs to wash? I only will use a shampoo after I straighten because its the only time I use silicones. I co-wash and do weekly or bi-weekly acv rinses. I also use amla powder but I use it more as a deep treatment.
- How are you going to protect your hair when you sleep? I take my satin pillow case or bonnet ever where.
- How will you moisturize your hair? I moisturize with a leave in condish sealed with shea butter. When I refresh my hair in the morning I use something water based.
- Are you going to pre-wash your hair? I’m still researching this. I do oil my scalp with coconut oil overnight and add more in the morning to my hair before I wash.
- Are you going to do scalp massages, how often? At one point I was faithfully even did inversion when I had a TWA… I will try to do them daily again as winter approaches with my coconut oil or evoo infused with oils like lavender, peppermint, and sage.
- What are your go-to styles going to be — braid-outs, curl former sets, buns, etc.? I have to switch it up so I don’t get bored. Flat twist outs were working great for a bit. My bantu knot out is still my signature never failing stying. I’m still working on prefecting braid outs and TnCs. I also loved the results of my flexirod set so thats a keeper. For the most part protective styling will be all I do as winter appoarches i.e. buns, braids, sew-ins, maybe a wig.
Well good luck building your fall reggie these questions should definately help.